Air Conditioning Cost and FAQs
Whether you’re trying to stay cool in the summer months or keep warm during the winter, you’ll want to ensure that your HVAC unit is running efficiently. You need to regularly maintain your AC unit to keep it in the best condition possible. So, you need to ask yourself: is your AC working properly?
It can happen at any time for any reason; should you repair or replace the unit? This is a question only a qualified HVAC technician can answer. Although, here are some things to inspect.
- Check the Thermostat
- Replace the filter
- Clogged Condensation Drain
- Duct Malfunction
- Compressor Area
If you have checked all of this and don’t notice an improvement, it’s time to call a professional.
While many factors can determine the actual cost, you can still estimate your obligation. For example, if it contains R-22 refrigerant, it needs to be replaced because R-22 will not be legally available after 2020.
According to HomeAdvisor, the average range to repair an AC unit in the United States is $163-$520. If your HVAC unit is more than ten years old, it should be replaced. An AC unit may be expensive, but it could end up saving you money.
The cost of a new AC unit varies widely, but the national average is $5,644, However, this price is influenced by:
- Necessary ductwork – the installation cost will average $1,250-$2,300 with no updates. Complete ductwork ranges from $2,550-$3,600.
- The size of the new unit – most sizes are three and 4 tons.
- Any repairs – fixing deteriorating ductwork, mold testing, asbestos removal, etc.
- The SEER rating – the (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) dramatically influences the cost. Higher SEER ratings equal more cost upfront but less operating costs.
With higher labor costs, an installation can cost $3,810-$7,480. If you’re having trouble making the best decision, a good company like Thompson Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning can inspect your current system and help you make an informed decision.
Signs It’s Time to Contact Your Oceanside AC Repair Professional
The last thing you need is AC trouble in the middle of summer. But when you have a reliable Oceanside AC repair expert on your side, you can be confident that the problem will be resolved safely and efficiently. Our technicians will get the job done right the first time and return your AC system and your home to normal in no time.
You may not be an HVAC expert, but you need to know the basics.
Here are some factors that may indicate your unit needs service:
- Loud Noises – as the AC runs, problems may occur inside the unit if you hear grinding, squealing, or scraping. Unusual sounds coming from the indoor or outdoor unit, including hissing or rattling noises
- Strange Odors – if you notice odd smells when the unit turns on, there could be a problem. It could be a burned-out wire. Musty odors may indicate mold.
- Short cycling – your AC is turning on and off repeatedly
- Puddles or leaking around the air handling unit
- Not Pushing Cold Air – Your AC is running but it’s not providing the cold air you need
Unfortunately, if you don’t address these problems early, it could lead to catastrophic failure.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us for immediate inspections and troubleshooting if you are experiencing AC problems. Give us a call for fast and reliable AC service in Oceanside, CA and surrounding areas.